Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Photos - Abu Simbel

These were 2 amazing temples that were totally worth getting up at 3 am to see.  I stood in awe of their size and greatness.  I knew that I was standing in a special moment from history.  i wondered about what happened in these temples at the time of their use.  Ancient Egypt had so many amazing carvers.  I also experienced why a 7am entry was necessary.  The rooms inside the temple were very hot.  Mid afternoon would be an impossible time to see them.  The temples were built "by" Ramses the second, around 1350 BC.  some years ago, the Egyptian government undertook to completely relocate these temples because they were building  a dam that would put them underwater at their original location.  It took 4 years to relocate them and it is astounding that they pulled it off.  The temples have huge statues on the inside.  plus floor to ceiling carvings, which no one is allowed to photograph.  This was such a spectacular sight.  Being in total awe is the best way I can describe putting my hands on the carvings and tracing them with my fingers.
A little more info about our convoy.  To my amusement, we lost our convoy between 4:30 and 5 am.  They were simply going much too fast for us to keep up.  So much for our police "protection".  I did get to see the sunrise in the desert.  We 3 hours deep into the desert and it was so satisfying to see the sun rise over the sand dunes.
There is a small town near the temple.  I saw the children walking with their backpacks to school at 6:30 am.  I can only assume this early start is to avoid the midday heat.






1 comment: