Saturday, November 20, 2010

Tips for Travellers

In preparation for my trip, I read a lot of blogs of people who've travelled before me.  So, this blog entry is of Info for people who may be travelling to Egypt, Jordan or Israel after me.

Hostels
In all of these countries, bedding was provided in hostels, I didn't need my sleeping bag.  In only 1 hostel was a towel not provided.  If you want to pay less and sleep on the roof, you will need a sleeping bag.  Whenever a hostel had a kitchen, pots, dishes were provided, I did not need to bring along my camping pots.  Do bring a spoon/fork/knife combo.  great for yogurt,etc that you might pick up on your travels.

Israel
- when you leave Israel by land (as I did to get from Egypt to Jordan), you have to pay an exit fee, even if you are returning.  It was 98 shekels in November, 2010.
- when you take a taxi in Israel, you have to pay PER bag on top of the fare.  something like 3 shekels per bag, even for your day pack.
- TAXIS are double the price on friday and saturday (weekend). plus there are no buses or trains on friday afternoon until saturday evening for Sabbath
- churches that you might sight see require that your shoulders and knees be covered.  have zip off pants to shorts or a sarong along so that you may enter.  Capernum also has this rule.
- there is more than one bus company.  Egged and Dan  websites are: http://www.egged.co.il/Eng/ and http://www.dan.co.il/english/

Jordan
- when leaving Jordan by land, you have to pay an exit fee, I paid 8 dinar in Nov, 2010.
- I'd read that no foods and liquids are allowed into Jordan.  This is not true.  I had food along, plus water in plain sight, it was not an issue.

Egypt
- all prices quoted to you, whether for taxi or in the market, are generally 70% than you should be paying.  negotiate.  walk away, if they run after you, you know you're getting to the right price.  If you're in the market, 2 or 3 vendors may turn you down, but down the road, someone will give you your price.
- Mt sinai is freezing at the top, but it was the only place I needed the jacket, long sleeve and sleeping bag on my 24 day trip.  You can rent camel blankets at the top, at a decent price to stay warm and that way you don't have to take any warm layers along on your trip, free up the backpack space.

No comments:

Post a Comment